Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Deep Time

As a geologist I try my best to understand deep time. Deep time refers to the history of the planet that we find in the fossil record as well as within the rock record and in what we can see in outer space about the formation of the universe. I try to reach out to make it accessible to everyone who is a reader of this blog and try to make it accessible in some of the long running series that I have such as the National Park Service series in which I try to incorporate geology as best I can for parks that don't always deal with geology at all. One of my favorite blogs, Love in the Time of Chasmosaurs, does science outreach in a more fun and interesting way. That is why when I saw this post over there yesterday I knew I had to link to it, seriously read their post, and share the video of David Christian discussing the importance of understanding deep time, what he calls big history, during a TED talk. This is why I blog what I do, we need to understand our place in the universe to truly understand who we are!


No comments:

Post a Comment