Thursday, January 26, 2012

What you should actually get out of college

I am going to start by saying that this post may seem to get a little politicy and that is because politics have gotten in the way of getting a college education. And one more thing most of this post is actually after the video so don't just watch the video and move on.

The last time I did a post on college it got a lot of views and actually got 2 comments, seriously people I want you to comment on the posts here it only helps me. Now those 2 comments happened to be spam so yeah I kind of expect more of that. Anyway I wanted to do this post because of a couple of things I have seen recently. The first is this video featuring Rick Santorum.



First lets pretend for a minute that CNN knew how to format a video for YouTube so it didn't come out all stretched out like that. I will grant Santorum that most college professors are left leaning to very liberal and that some, a small minority in my experiences, may actually try to "indoctrinate" their students. Most of my experience showed that professors tried to teach their students facts and if those facts run counter to what you grew up believing or being taught then you have to do some serious searching. What a lot of other professors do is try to teach you how to think critically this allows students to eventually look at some of what they were taught growing up and realize that it is wrong or that why they believe that was actually wrong so they need to rethink if they actually believe that. It seems to me that what the religious right is actually fearing about college is not the education itself it is the fact that students are being taught facts and that they are being taught how to think critically.

Which brings up this bill in the Virginia Legislature. Currently this bill is only in a subcommittee and so it still has a long way to go but what it would do if passed is nothing less than turn all colleges in the state of Virginia into schools that would not challenge a person's beliefs and wouldn't actually teach students anything. Here is the full text of the bill:
HOUSE BILL NO. 1207

Offered January 19, 2012
A BILL to protect the right of students to assert conscientious objection to any requirement of an academic degree program in an institution of higher education; liability.
----------

Patrons-- Pogge and Cole

----------

Referred to Committee on Education

----------

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. § 1. No public or private institution of higher learning shall expel, suspend, punish, penalize, discipline, deny academic credit to, require participation in a remediation program for, or discriminate against a student because he refuses to perform academic coursework or any other degree requirement on the grounds that it would force him to violate a sincerely held religious belief.

§ 2. The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia shall not recognize any accrediting agency that denies full accreditation to, or otherwise takes any adverse action against, an academic program in any institution of higher learning in the Commonwealth because the institution exempts students from academic coursework or a degree requirement that would force any student to violate his sincerely held religious beliefs.

§ 3. The Attorney General or any student, prospective student, or former student aggrieved under this act may bring a civil action against the institution of higher learning, the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia, or the relevant accrediting agency for damages, injunctive and declaratory relief, and any other relief authorized by law and shall be entitled to reasonable attorney fees and costs if that party substantially prevails on the merits of an action brought under this section.
What this bill does is says that a public college cannot force a student to take a class that is against their religious beliefs. This would allow students to get a degree in biology without taking a class on evolution or allow a student to take a geology class and answer a question on a quiz asking the age of the earth as only 6000 years old. This totally defeats the point of college. A student goes into college with a certain set of beliefs and knowledge and if these are not challenged while the student is in college they likely never will be and this will only make the students that come out of colleges more ignorant.

I did my undergrad at a public university in Virginia and seeing this upset me. My degree would start to become meaningless. What has probably surprised me the most is that I have only seen one mention of this bill and that was how I found out about. Nothing from NCSE or any other organization to show that they even acknowledge that it is even in existence. Maybe I have missed something, and if I have please post it in the comments below, and if there has been something I will take back what I am currently saying. Remember you have the right to religious freedom but you do not have the right to not be offended or to have someone make you question your beliefs!

Sorry, about that now back to our regularly scheduled programing.

4 comments:

  1. I just was seeing if I could find out any information on this - and your blog was the only non General Assembly site that I found with a quick google search. I just forwarded the bill's description on the General Assembly's site to NCSE, since I was surprised they hadn't picked up on it. I'm a biology faculty member in a public college in Virginia, and I am very concerned about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I am surprised that NCSE hasn't picked up on it yet since they are normally the ones I find out about this stuff from. Since I have written this post I have seen maybe one other site mention this bill and even then it was just touched on in one sentence while all the rest of the post was about the Indiana Senate passing their creationist bill.

      Delete
    2. The bill was "continued to 2013" yesterday, which should mean it is not really going anywhere - I've checked into it a bit more, and traded emails with some of the folks in the higher ed network in Virginia, and they're not really concerned about it, and said it doesn't have much chance of going anywhere (I hope they're right). Interestingly, NCSE wrote back to me and said they were aware of it, but that it didn't have the language typical of anti-evolution bills (it is so broadly written), and so they were keeping an eye on it, but weren't immediately concerned.

      Delete
    3. I noticed that it had been "continued to 2013" right after I posted that comment yesterday and that is a positive sign at least. While those two groups said they weren't concerned about it I have seen other weird bills slip through in the past so I was still kind of surprised. Also, thank you for keeping me updated with what you had been "hearing" (I always find that word choice weird when talking about email)!

      Delete