Sunday, June 13, 2010

What happened to the Science?

I have always been a fan of CNN.com it is a good quick place to get your news. They also are a more neutral site than most other news sites. Now as you may have guessed by reading this blog I tend to read a lot of science articles to keep up to date on science outside of my specific field. This is actually part of why I started reading CNN.com.

Way back in 2004/2005 when I first started my undergraduate education cnn.com had a section of their website that was all about science and technology. A few years ago they changed the tab to just say Tech but when you clicked there you could still typically find science articles under their own heading within that tab. This was fine with me while I like science to get its recognition this at least allowed the science articles to be found and navigated through.

Well within the last few weeks something happened again. The Tech tab now just navigates to articles about technology with science artiles no longer getting billing. Don't believe me take a look at these screen shots from yesterday (click on the images to better see them):

TopBottom

I understand that technology sells and that maybe what draws most people to that section but they should still include the science articles at least under some listing on that page. The only science article on that page at all was this video of Bill Nye talking about the oil spill clean-up.

There is always the possiblity that I am missing something but I did spend a good bit of time looking over the website to see if I could find a science section but with no luck. Do I think CNN will stop covering science related news? No, but I think it will get harder to find the older articles than it used to be. Will I stop going to CNN.com? No, as I have shown before a lot of the other news websites are not much better when it comes to science. All that I want is for CNN.com to make finding their science related articles a little bit easier and not burying them somewhere deep within their website, especially right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment