Saturday, January 16, 2010

Movie Review?

I did not get nearly enough blogging done while I was at home but I really didn't have anything to blog about so that tends to happen, sorry. I am now back at school which means that you might get more blogging because I don't want to do work but I wouldn't hold out too much hope if I was you. Anyway on to what I was actually going to post.

Now I promise you that I am not going to make this a normal aspect of this blog but I wanted to say just how good I thought Avatar is, if you haven't heard of Avatar where the heck have you been and check out the trailer below.



I know I am sure you have all heard from every other blog that you follow how great a movie it is, and I quite simply wanted to add that I agree with that. So why should I waste a post saying that? Well I figured I would pass on why I enjoyed this story so much.

1) The amazing scenery and visual effects. This is something that most people seem to agree on. I went to see it in 3D and I don't think I could see it in 2D. I have never felt like I was actually living in the world up on the screen as I did when I watched Avatar

2)The story. Yes it isn't a completely original story but that is ok. The story spoke to me and pulled you in and that was mostly do to:

3) The writing. Yes the lines weren't a piece of classic literature but they nail down pretty well how people actually speak in the situations they are trying to portray, well maybe not the being on a foreign planet. I have never felt so attached to a story line. I was literally squeezing one of my hands to death with the other hand during the stressful parts of the movie.

Most of the detractors of the movie, including some people I know, don't like it because it "pushes the liberal agenda." By liberal agenda they are pretty much saying things like the green movement. Yes the movie does contain some of those overtones but the main idea I got was the idea of equal treating of fellow man, no matter what their beliefs. I know crazy right how dare we seek equal treatment of fellow man and try to keep from destroying the environment that if we continue down the path we are on will in the long run lead to our destruction.

So in closing if you haven't see, or have just not in 3D, go see it ASAP. This movie maybe the Star Wars of our generation, which as you may have guess I am a sci-fi buff and love Star Wars. There will probably be at least another movie coming out so make sure you see the one while you can.

On one final note what happened in Haiti last week was horrible and I'm not going to say much else, I feel enough has been said already, but if you can afford to I recommend giving to an organization that you know will be spending the money on the good of the people down there, which means that you should probably avoid smaller organizations. The two main organizations that I recommend are the Red Cross (you can specify where you want the money to go), and MSF/Doctor's without Borders.

No comments:

Post a Comment